Wednesday 30 December 2009

Hotel Kämp, ten years of luxury in Finland


I stayed at one of my favorite hotels Kämp in all of the Nordic countries when I was in Helsinki Finland for a few days. The Neo-Renaissance building by architect Theodor Höijer, was built in 1887 and is one the beautiful buildings on The North Esplanade (Pohjoisesplanadi). The hotel closed in 1917 when a Finnish bank (KOP) took over the building as it's head quarter. It opened again as a luxury hotel in 1999, ten years ago, and is still the only really good five star hotel in Helsinki. Yesterday I briefly met my friends father in the Kämp bistro and he was telling me that last time he sat in that very room, it had been been many many years ago with his good friend, the legendary banker Jaakko Lassila who then was the CEO of the KOP bank. They didn't serve any good red wines by the glass at that time.

Select Travel and Collection have a great deal for our clients at Kämp. Finland is a really nice place to visit in the winter and for families it's fun to continue from Helsinki to Lappland and meet Santa Claus and go skiing to Kittilä and stay at Levi Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment