Sunday 8 November 2009

A Day to Remember

Today I experienced something rather life altering. After weeks of planning and arrangements I got the possibility to go to an orphanage just north of Colombo and meet up with some of the most caring and wonderful people I've met in my life time. The orphanage is one of three run by the same Sisterhood, the other two orphanages are in Gampola (outside Kandy) and Nuwera Eliya. The Sisters are now planning to open an orphanage in the North of Sri Lanka, close to Jaffna, the area that's suffered the most from the civil war that ravaged this poor country for more than 25 years killing almost 100.000 people. My friend Sonja, whom I am traveling with is planning to co-ordinate and fund this orphanage through Sweden. Today we were talking budgets and plans with the Sisters and we are all so excited about the venture that could help up to 50 orphan children who've got absolutely nothing today. The need is very acute and I am so amazed when hearing these Sisters telling me the stories when they've visited the area, only a week ago last time, and saw all the misery in the refugee camps ad around it. 

The orphanage I had the chance to go to today really gave me an urge to help and be a part to help other orphans in this beautiful island to get the same chance of a bright future and a loving upbringing.

I can't even begin to tell you how much an experience like this touches me. I love the kids, would've wanted to take all of them home with me. I love the Sisters for what they do. Talk about hearts of gold. 




No comments:

Post a Comment