Sunday 25 October 2009

To D or not to D


One of my favorite news papers, The Financial Times has a great weekend magazine. Today I read a interesting article about Vitamin D and the discoveries of Dr Vieth.

To D or not to D

In recent years vitamin D has been going to some exciting places. Reports of new and promising studies seem to emerge almost weekly. A 2007 analysis of vitamin D studies found that individuals with higher vitamin level are significantly as much as 50 per cent - less likely to develop colorectal cancer. And the excitement is not only about cancer prevention. Low vitamin D levels have been linked to an increased risk of osteoporosis, heart disease. Multiple sclerosis, type 1 diabetes, depression and rheumatoid arthritis, among other diseases.

So why is Dr Vieth so frustrated? Him and other vitamin D researchers around the world can prove vitamin D could help millions live longer and be healthier and yet they have not been able to convince their own governments.

When I was young growing up in Finland, my mother made me take one spoon-full of cod liver oil everyday. Today I love my sardines for breakfast even if I thought at that time that I'd never eat it voluntarily.

Vitamin D can be found in milk, eggs, tofu, cod liver oil, oyster, dried shiitake mushrooms, mackerel and tinned sardines.

So listen to mummy and take your vitamin Ds

No comments:

Post a Comment